May 02, 2009

Fergie interview to Daily Telegraph


STACY Ann Ferguson is back with her boys. After a few years off to focus on her solo music, ruling the pop world with her debut album The Dutchess, Fergie is back with the band that made her an international household name, the Black Eyed Peas.

"It's nice to be back with the guys. We had a break and it is really good to get back together,'' Fergie tells Insider from LA.

"I did my album The Dutchess, and I got to film the movie Nine, plan my wedding, get married, go on my honeymoon, all of that, and it just felt right to get back with the boys.''

Gallery: Fergie and the Peas are smokin' hot

In fact, life couldn't be better for the 34-year-old, who married her long-term actor boyfriend Josh Duhamel in January.

"I can't believe it,'' she says. ``Life is so good right now.''

Fergie recently spoke of her desire to have kids with Duhamel.

"I would love to adopt, are you kidding me? I want to have babies if I can of my own too, if God permits, but after the tour we'll talk babies,'' she said in a UK interview.

That tour is the upcoming Black Eyed Peas stage extravaganza, which Fergie says should make it to Australia about October.

It's been four years since the band - Fergie, will.i.am, aple.de.ap, and Taboo - released their fourth studio album, Monkey Business, which sold more than 10 million copies and won them two Grammy Awards.

They had massive worldwide hits with the singles Don't Phunk With My Heart, Don't Lie and Pump It and it looks set to continue as the new single, Boom Boom Pow, went straight to the top of the US charts.

Fergie's life in the spotlight began at an early age.

She started as a child actor on the US television show Kids Incorporated, alongside Martika. She then went on to work with a band called Wild Orchid before joining the Black Eyed Peas in 2003.

Now she has become something of a style icon.

"It's just who I am. Yes, I am a big flirt but at the same time I am a very strong woman,'' Fergie says.

"It's nice in the band being able to be that voice of the empowered woman but at the same time kinda being a tease in some of the songs.

"I think people understand that with me it's always with a wink.''

The new album gave Fergie the opportunity to explore some different styles - futuristic ones.

"I am so excited about the fashion on this record: it's super-futuristic and I am really getting into geometric shapes,'' she says.

"I changed my hair colour - I'm playing with new colour palettes.

"It's like I get a whole new template.''

Given the group's time apart and the fact that Fergie's solo career had taken off with such gusto - The Dutchess sold more than six million copies - there was some speculation that she may not work with them again.

But Fergie is very much involved in the Black Eyed Peas' new album, The E.N.D, although the title raises further questions about the band's future.

"It's a club record. It's a complete dance record. The BPMs (beats per minute) are faster on this album,'' she says.

The album's also perfect to work out to and she says it helped her get in shape for the tour.

"I work out to it every day,'' Fergie says.

"It's a great record for that and it's a great going-out record and that's what the Peas are about.

"It's who we are, it's how we became friends, and especially in this environment right now where people are losing their homes and having bad times, this is a record to kind of escape from that and leave those problems behind, and come and just have a blast and forget about all the worries.''

The album was recorded in London, where Fergie was filming her new movie Nine, a musical also starring Nicole Kidman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Kate Hudson, Penelope Cruz, Judi Dench and Sophia Loren.

"She (Kidman) is amazing. She's wonderful,'' Fergie says.

"She brought (daughter) Sunday Rose to the set, such a gorgeous child and so happy _ I never saw her cry once.''

Fergie says working on a big-screen musical was a ``dream come true''.

"I started out with my mum taking me to the local theatre and seeing things like Peter Pan, Oklahoma! and My Fair Lady - that is what really inspired me: I wanted to be on stage.''

The E.N.D is out June 5. The single Boom Boom Pow is available digitally now and in stores May 15

No comments: